Youth Center Program Director
Youth Center Program Director
The LGBTQ Center of Durham’s vision is to create a community where all LGBTQ+ lived experiences are affirmed, supported, and celebrated.
The Center is committed to improving the quality of life for LGBTQ+ people in and around Durham:
- through programming, resources, and networks of support;
- by acting as a hub for Durham's LGBTQ+ community;
- by sharing and affirming all LGBTQ+ lived experiences; and
- by educating our neighbors in order to enhance understanding of and sensitivity to LGBTQ+ issues.
Core programs include Host Home Program, LGBTQ+ Youth Center, a re-centered Pride, and other gender-inclusive support programs. Located in downtown Durham, North Carolina, the Center has a staff of eight, a ten-member Board of Directors, and an annual operating budget of approximately $750,000+.
The Youth Center offers support, advocacy, and experiences for personal development and social interaction to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning (LGBTQ+) youth.
As a Director at the LGBTQ Center of Durham, the Youth Center Program Director will implement, lead, and evaluate all aspects of the program; supervise staff providing direct services aligned with program; manage programmatic budget and assist with grant application and reporting process aligned with program; and serves as a member of the Senior Professional Staff.
This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Minimum 5 years nonprofit, K-12 education, higher education, or public service experience; with 3 of these years of program and/or volunteer management experience.
- Minimum 2 years staff or volunteer supervision experience.
- Undergraduate degree in the field of education, social services, social justice, community organizing, or other relevant work; candidates with relevant experience in place of a BA encouraged to apply.
- Experience working in a collaborative setting; program management and development.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, creativity, and a commitment to and passion for the organization’s mission; personable under pressure, able to problem solve and able to work with diverse constituencies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be organized, self-starting, results-oriented; able to work under pressure and complete multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Commitment to and knowledge of the greater Durham queer and trans communities and an understanding of issues affecting the Durham LGBTQ+ community; with strong anti-oppression/anti-racism lens.
- Graduate degree in education, social work, or closely related field.
- Evening and weekend availability.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish preferred but not required).
Depending on education and experience, mid $50’s per year. Benefits include employer-paid healthcare, generous personal time off and paid holidays.
To see the full job description, click here.
Instructions to apply:
All applications for the Youth Center Program Director must be received by Friday, May 28, 2021, at 5 PM.
To ensure a complete application, we strongly encourage you to use our application page to apply for this position. Alternatively, you may email a formal cover letter and your resume to [email protected], or mail both items to:
LGBTQ Center of Durham
attn: Job Opportunities
114 Hunt Street
Durham NC 27701.
We will not review incomplete applications. Given the number of anticipated applications, we request that you follow-up by email only -- no phone calls, please.
For questions, contact [email protected] to learn more.